Pushkinskaya st. 43. office 10
Rostov-on-Don, Russia
e-mail: info@hjournal.ru 
tel. +7(863) 269-88-14

cubsEN (2)

Middle Income Trap: Institutional and Cognitive Foundations

Middle Income Trap: Institutional and Cognitive Foundations

Journal of Institutional Studies, , Vol. 12 (no. 2),

The middle-income trap is a well-known phenomenon that the growth of per capita GDP slows sharply after reaching a certain level. This is usually associated with an increase in labor costs – the price of labor in the country becomes higher than in poor countries, and advanced technologies that could ensure the growth of labor productivity are not available. In the article, an ideational hypothesis is used to explain this phenomenon. It is assumed that the ideals and values of actors influence institutions, and institutional conditions largely determine the rate of economic growth. Thus, factors exogenous with respect to the national economy – ideals of intellectuals and international institutions that regulate economic relations – are included in the analysis. The conviction of intellectuals in the existence of a simulacrum of world science contributes to the orientation of national business towards joining the world elite. The latter legitimizes the predatory export of capital and the acquisition of foreign assets, which reinforces the dependence of semi-peripheral countries on world hegemonic policies. Corruption in middle-income countries reinforces this dependence. The trap is also stabilized with the help of a “performance society” culture, when in a semi-peripheral country, financial resources are invested in the development of professional sports and the entertainment industry, but not in domestic R&D.

Keywords: middle-income trap; post-industrial society; intellectuals; corruption; “performance society”

References:
  • Baudrillard, J. (2003). Toward a Critique of the Political Economy of the Sign. Moscow: Biblion – Russian book. (In Russian.)
  • Bell, D. (1999). The upcoming post-industrial society. Experience of social forecasting. Moscow: Academia. (In Russian.)
  • Benda, J. (2009). The betrayal of intellectuals. (In Russian.)
  • Berle, A., Means, G. (1967). The Modern Corporation and Private Property. 2nd ed. New York, Harcourt, Brace and World.
  • Clausewitz, K. (1998). About war. Moscow: Logos; The science. (In Russian.)
  • Debord, G. (1999). Society of the play. Moscow: Logos. (In Russian.)
  • Еfimov, V.,M. (2011). Discursive economics: Methodology and history of economics reconsidered. Journal of Economic Regulation, 2(3), 5–79. (In Russian.)
  • Florida, R. (2011). Creative Class: People Who Change the Future. Moscow: Publishing House “Classic XXI”. (In Russian.)
  • Games of the economic killers (2007) / Edited by S. Hayat. Moscow: Pretex. (In Russian.)
  • Lee, J.-D., Baek, C., Maliphol, S., Yeon, J.-I. (2019). Middle Innovation Trap. Foresight and STI Governance, 13(1), 6–18. DOI: 10.17323/2500- 2597.2019.1.6.18.
  • Marx, K., Engels, F. (1950). Manifesto of the Communist Party. Moscow: Gospolitizdat. (In Russian.)
  • Merton, R. (2006). Self-fulfillment of the prophecy / Merton R. Social theory and social structure. Moscow: AST: AST: MOSCOW KEEPER. Pp. 605–626. (In Russian.)
  • Perkins, J. (2005). Confession of the economic killer. Moscow: Pretext. (In Russian.)
  • Polterovich, V. M. (1999). Institutional traps and economic reforms / CEMI RAS and NES. Moscow. (In Russian.)
  • Samuels, W. (2015). “Truth” and “discourse” in the social construction of reality // Sources: qualitative shifts in economic reality and economic science / editorial: V.S. Avtonomov (Ch. Ed.), O.I. Ananyin (Deputy Chief Editor), D.V. Miller (responsible secretary) and others. Moscow: Publishing House of the Higher School of Economics. Pp. 13–30. (In Russian.)
  • Schelling, T. (2016). Conflict strategy. Moscow: IRISEN, Socium. (In Russian.)
  • Silaev, N. Yu., Bolgova I. V. (2019). Vain wars: does the Tilly model work in the post-Soviet space? Comparative politics, 4, 133–154. (In Russian.)
  • Sokolov M., Titaev K. (2013) Provincial and native science Anthropological Forum, 19, 239–275 (In Russian.)
  • Sokolov, M. M. (2010). Individual trajectories and the origin of “natural zones” in St. Petersburg sociology // Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology, 3, 111–132. (In Russian.)
  • Tambovtsev, V. L. (2019). Ideas and interests, economic policy and institutions. Voprosy Ekonomiki, 5, 26–45. (In Russian.)
  • Ushakin, S. (2013). Science: a thing in itself and a thing for itself. Anthropological Forum, 19, 176–188. (In Russian.)
  • Veblen, T. (1984). The Theory of the Leisure Class. Moscow: Progress. (In Russian.)
  • Veblen, T. (2006). Why is economics not an evolutionary discipline? In the book. Sources: from the experience of studying economics as a structure and process / editorial: Ya.I. Kuzminov, V.S. Avtonomov, O.I. Ananyin et al. Moscow: ID HSE. Pp. 10–32. (In Russian.)
  • Volchik, V. V., Maslyukova, E. V. (2018). Narratives, ideas, institutions. Terra Economicus, 16(2), 150–168. (In Russian.)
  • Wallerstein, I. (2001). Analysis of world systems and the situation in the modern world / Ed. B.Yu. Kagarlitsky. SPb.: University book. (In Russian.)
  • Wallerstein, I. (2016). Modern world system. T. I–III. Moscow: Russian Foundation for the Promotion of Education and Science. (In Russian.)
Publisher: Ltd. "Humanitarian perspectives"
Founder: Ltd. "Humanitarian perspectives"
Online-ISSN: 2412-6039
ISSN: 2076-6297